Fantasy Booking - 8 Dream Matches


Okay, we all do it, we sit around and think only if such and such were in the same era, what a match that would have been. So taking that chain of thought,  I am going to put together my top 8 list of what I consider would be belters and five stars throughout. For the purpose of this list, hence the title, it will be 8 matches that can never happen, therefore, no HBK vs AJ Styles, which would be awesome, but still has the smallest of chances of happening. I will also only use each wrestler once, anyway, I also, after thinking really hard, couldn’t include Undertaker, it is near on impossible to think of somebody he either hasn’t faced or could face.

8. Daniel Bryan Vs The Dynamite Kid

If this list is a PPV, then the first match, or number 8, is as important as the last match or number 1. So what better way to kick of any dream booking scenario than a hard-hitting technical masterpiece, that these two would enviably put together. I envision a long match that would go through every range of emotion possible with very little downtime or stalling. I think I would struggle to find anyone that would not be excited by a match between these two.

7. The Usos Vs The Rockers Vs Motor City Machine Guns (TLC Match)

Every great list of matches has to include a classic tag team throw down. The Usos are possibly the best team WWE have right now, consistent high performers and have succeeded even after less than great beginnings. I would love to see what The Rockers would have come up with using the TLC format, we all know what Shawn Michaels is capable of, however don’t underestimate Marty Jannetty, who if he wasn’t a bit too much into the party lifestyle, and more than a little bit mental (search YouTube for his shoot interviews for confirmation) could have easily been as big as HBK, the man could go.  I loved The Motor City Machine Guns, they were part of TNA’s best period and were always a dynamic and exciting team more than capable of performing with the best of them. I also think the chance of them signing with WWE are on par with the Young Bucks, so slim to none. I chose a three-way TLC match because they, more often than not, provide plenty of excitement and give each performer and team a time to shine.

6. The Miz Vs Jake “The Snake” Roberts

The Miz is somebody who I have to begrudgingly admit I was wrong on. I am sure I am on record saying that I wasn’t a fan, well, now I am. Quite often WWE’s Mr.Reliable and one of the best talkers of this generation, the man can build heat. Jake in his prime was the same, he could sell the importance of match, he could draw the crowd in and get them to do as he wanted, take a look to how onside they are when Jake is down to a 1 Vs 4 situation taking on The Model Rick Martel, Warlord, and Power & Glory (Survivor Series 1990) for proof. I think this would be magic on the promos leading up and would be able to convince people that match was better than it possibly would be.

5. Gail Kim Vs Becky Lynch

Picking a women’s match was proving difficult. Not only with Evolution now in the bag and legends returning, but also, if we are honest, until recent history, women’s wrestling just wasn’t great. With saying that, WWE maybe be taking a lot of credit for the “women’s revolution”, however TNA were doing it first and doing it well. Gail Kim became the inaugural Knockouts champion in 2007 and went on a tear against, in particular, Awesome Kong, putting on many memorable matches. To think WWE let this lady leave, twice, is staggering. Becky gets the nod because, at the moment, nobody can touch her, her promos are great, and she is awesome in the ring.

4. Jonny Gargano Vs Mr Perfect

I don’t think a list of mine would be complete until Mr.Perfect made an appearance, so here he is. I have spoken before about his upside, so read any of the other lists for them. I think Gargano would be perfect for Perfect to work alongside, Jonny recently has been tearing it up with five-star performance after five-star performance, this would be no different.

3. Vader Vs Braun Strowman

Who doesn’t enjoy watching two massive men knocking each other to oblivion? These two are possibly the two biggest of their respective era’s and a match between these monsters would probably end much the same way as when Hulk and Sentry threw down in the conclusion to World War Hulk, which incidentally, if you haven’t read, you really should.

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin Vs CM Punk

I don’t think Punk was as good as he thought he was, but he was good, however he was magic on the microphone and at one point was the biggest thing in wrestling. Stone Cold needs no plaudits, and this match sells itself. It is the match probably most called for by the IWC and who am I to argue, they know a lot more than I do.

1.  AJ Styles vs Bret “The Hitman” Hart (60 Minute Ironman Match)

May as well close as we started. I love technical fast paced wrestling, and who better at it than these two. Both incapable of having bad matches, I believe this would be a full-on joy to behold. I have given it the hour-long Ironman stipulation, firstly because I enjoyed what Bret did with Shawn, I know some didn’t (Marsh I am glancing at you!) But I think this would be 60 minutes of pure fantastic wrestling. I also think it would break Meltzer’s star system to bits, there is no way this match could or would fail.

Well, as always, thanks for reading, I am sure others could come up with better, seeing as I am VERY WWE bias, which I make zero apologies for, let me know what you think. Just as a final note, I have now thought of a match for Undertaker, it would be against Sting, so if this was a PPV, stick it on a pre-show!



Comments